Keeping your vehicle well maintained is essential to ensuring the safety of yourself and other drivers on the road. Here are some surprising facts:
- The average number of tires on the road in America on non-commercial vehicles (cars and light trucks, including SUVs): 900 million
- Number of light vehicles and commercial tires shipped in in a average year 290 million
- Average Highway fatalities in a year 40,500
- Estimated annual number of highway fatalities caused by under inflated tires: 600
- Recommended frequency for visual inspection and inflation pressure check of all our tires and the spare: Once a month and before every long trip.
- Average distance a vehicle travels before a accident 12 feet
- 4 out of 10 vehicles on the roads in America have some sort of tire issue or have tires that are in a compromised condition.
Many of these problems can be easily avoided through simple routine maintenance and Bernardi Toyota can help. Here are some quick and easy ways to make sure your vehicle is safe.
- Proper tire repairs are limited to the tread area only
- Puncture or foreign object damage cannot be greater than 1/4 inch (6mm) in diameter
- Proper tire repairs must be performed by removing the tire from the rim/wheel assembly to perform a proper and complete visual inspection to determine if the tire carcass or inner liner damage that may be present .This is done first to proceed with proper repair.
- Tire repairs cannot overlap and cannot be within 90 degrees of each other for all P rated tires.
- Rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to fill the puncture hole and a patch must be applied to seal the inner liner. A proper repair or common repair unit is a one-piece unit with a stem and a patch. Plug repair by itself is not proper and unacceptable repair process.